Saturday, March 31, 2012

new things

The sun finally came out for a while today so I ran out to take a few pictures of recent projects. This wall hanging started out as a table runner but in the interest of being completed within a reasonable time frame became something a bit smaller. All of the prints used came from a deconstructed rag rug. I will explain... One of my very creative friends, Tory, discovered that within a modest rug may be some very interesting material (you can see what she did here). So, while in World Market one day I decided to pick-up a rag rug that was on sale and see what I could do. When I got home and took it apart I ended up with a pile of super-colorful cotton fabric scraps of wax block prints. They needed to be washed and pressed but it was worth the effort. With the addition of some Kona solids and silk pieces, I was able to put together the panel, and there are still a LOT of scraps left. It was fun to use fabrics that I probably wouldn't come across anywhere else but in that rug.

I decided to add a beaded fringe to the bottom border as it just seemed to be the right finish.

I couldn't resist deconstructing another bargain rug, this time finding some lightweight silk scraps. My grand dog, Baxter, decided they made a comfy resting place.

In another instance of using what you are given, I created a quilt block for a challenge from the Portland Modern Quilt Guild to use some lovely cotton solids donated by Michael Miller Fabrics. Some of the blocks created by our guild members will be made into a quilt to be displayed at quilt market in Kansas City this year.